Does Renters Insurance Cover Flooding?

Renters insurance is not a legal requirement for those living in Decatur, AL, but some landlords will require proof of indemnification before they sign off on your lease. In addition, many people choose to buy renters insurance for the benefits it offers. 

What About Flooding?

A variety of reasons can cause flooding. For example, a pipe may burst in your apartment, causing significant water damage. Leaky roofs can also cause fluid accumulation, and both of these scenarios are likely to fall under the purview of a renters insurance policy. Your Will Wright Agency Inc. specialist can go into further detail about specific coverage. 

The type of flooding that falls outside of renters insurance coverage tends to be directly related to the weather, such as living next to a river or creek that rises during heavy rains. 

Flash flooding due to storms can wreak havoc, as can significant snow thaws. Wet water streams that spring up and inundate gullies and ditches can also create flood conditions. These types of events fall under flood insurance coverage. 

It’s important to examine the Decatur, AL topography surrounding your dwelling and speak with an expert to determine if additional coverage is needed. FEMA government maps detail flood planes and the risk for flooding as well as the severity, frequency, and elevation; this information is updated every few years. 

Renters insurance tends to cover your possessions, furniture, and expenses due to injuries incurred by guests while on your premises and not events due to flooding. 

Discuss Your Needs With Us 

Will Wright Agency Inc. works hard to provide you with the tailor-made insurance package best suited to meet your needs. Call us today, reach out via phone, or stop by our office to ask any questions. 

How Do I Know If I Need Flood Insurance?

Individuals living in Alabama or Tennessee, especially those who live along the Tennessee River, are often concerned about flooding. The agents at Will Wright Agency Inc. in Decatur, AL understand the concerns. When buying homeowners insurance, it’s essential to ask about flood insurance. Knowing whether or not you live in a floodplain will determine if you need to add it to your policy.

Find Out If You Live Near a Floodplain

Even though you may not live close to a river or lake, you may need to consider flood insurance. Floodplains are areas that are prone to flooding after continuous heavy rain or other natural disasters. If you aren’t sure if you live in a floodplain, it’s a good idea to do a little research to find out. 

Know Where the Nearest Waterways or Ponds/Lakes Are Located

If you are concerned about flooding, find out where the nearest waterways are. This can include ponds, lakes, rivers, streams, and reservoirs. Even small waterways can flood under the right circumstances. Knowing where each waterway is and how far it is away from your home will help you calculate your risk of flooding.

Talk to Your Local EMA Director

Your local EMA director will be able to tell you if you live in a floodplain. They have geographic maps to help identify flood-prone areas.

At the Will Wright Agency Inc., our agents serve residents who live in or near Decatur, AL. They are there to answer your questions and make sure you get the type of insurance you need to fully protect your home and family from various types of disasters. Make an appointment today!